I often get requests for recipes created and calculated for one (or two) person servings and one of the best books available which neatly fills the bill is Quick & Easy Diabetic Recipes For One, by Kathleen Stanley, CDE, RD, MSED, and Connie C. Crawley, MS, RD, LD.
A healthy, flexible meal plan is paramount in controlling your diabetes but if you're on your own, you may feel too busy, rushed, scattered or lonely to eat well. It takes a lot of effort to cook something just for you and this book shows you how to prepare quick, nutritious meals for one.
What, when and how much you eat has a huge impact on your blood glucose level which, in turn, affects everything about how well you feel -- and how much or little diabetes will impact your life.
In addition to 100 taste-tempting recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the authors have included super tips on shopping and preparation, cutting back on how much you eat, spoilage and storage charts.
You'll learn to cook for one without wasting food, tossing out leftovers, or cutting recipes in half and in half again!
Here's a quickie breakfast recipe which can be prepared in 4 minutes:
Luscious Cheese Toast
Yield: Makes 1 Serving.
Content Continues Below ⤵
- 3 Tbsp 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/8 tsp almond extract (I prefer vanilla)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp low-sugar or sugar-free apricot jam (or flavor of your choice)
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread
- Using a food processor blender, combine the cottage cheese, almond extract, sugar, and jam.
- Lightly toast the bread and spread it with the cottage cheese mixture.
- Place the toast on a baking tray and broil until the cheese begins to brown lightly. Enjoy.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
2 g Fat
1 g Saturated Fat
28 g Carbohydrate
4 mg Cholesterol
287 mg Sodium
8 g Protein
2 g Dietary Fiber
13 g Sugars
Exchanges: 2 Starch, 1 Very Lean Meat
About the Authors
- Kathleen Stanley,C.D.E., R.D., M.S.Ed. is the diabetes education program coordinator.
- Connie C. Crawley, M.S., R.D., L.D. (Athens, GA), is a nutrition and health specialist.