Looking for something different for dinner? Bringing new foods to the table can be easier, and healthier, than you might think. When you add high-quality proteins such as soyfoods to your menu, you open up the door to a wider variety of tasty and nutritious meals.
The plant-based proteins of soy are packed with benefits for your body. They have all the essential amino acids needed for growth. They may help reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering blood cholesterol and increasing the flexibility of blood vessels. They are also equivalent to animal sources of protein, but have no cholesterol and little saturated fat.
In fact, both the national 2010 Dietary Guidelines and the MyPlate nutrition guidance recommend soyfoods such as soymilk, veggie burgers, soy nutrition bars, soy sausages, tofu, soy yogurt, soy protein shakes and edamame. You can easily enjoy soy proteins in a lot of different ways.
Meat and poultry lovers can enjoy soy, too, by incorporating soy crumbles and other soy products into their favorite dishes. The following recipe for a Veggie Taco Salad makes a satisfying, nutritious main dish for the entire family.
Veggie Taco Salad
Makes 4 servings
Content Continues Below ⤵
- 2 cups soy crumbles (you can find these in your grocer's freezer section or refrigerated meat section)
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 5 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons fat free sour cream
- In large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook crumbles and salsa over medium heat about 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently.
- In large bowl toss together lettuce, corn and black beans. Arrange on 4 serving plates. Top with crumbles mixture. Sprinkle with toppings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Total Fat: 4g