- Vegetable oil spray
- 10 ounces fresh broccoli spears (or 10-ounce package frozen)
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon light margarine
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (2-1/2 to 3 cups)
- 1-1/3 cups Chicken Broth
- 5-ounce can fat-free evaporated milk (2/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs (or 1/2 slice bread)
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Lightly spray a 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Steam broccoli spears until tender-crisp, then plunge into ice water to stop cooking. Drain and blot dry on paper towels. Arrange in baking pan.
- Evenly place chicken over broccoli. Set aside.
- For sauce, heat margarine in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Swirl to coat bottom. Cook mushrooms, covered, for 7 to 9 minutes, or until they've been released of their juices. Increase heat to high and cook, uncovered, for 1 to 2 minutes to allow liquid to evaporate. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pour broth and milk into a medium saucepan. Whisk in flour. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in green onions, Parmesan, nutmeg, and mushrooms. Pour over chicken in baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake for 25 minutes.
Recipe Yield: Servings: 6
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5 grams
Sodium: 150 milligrams
Protein: 18 grams
Carbohydrates: 12 grams
1 Bread/Starch; 2-1/2 Low-Fat Meat
Source: American Heart Association
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.