- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
Custard Filling Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup commercial chocolate sauce
Cream Puffs Ingredients
- Cream Puff Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine water, salt, Splenda Granulated Sweetener and butter in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until butter melts. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture leaves sides of pan and forms a smooth ball. The mixture resembles mashed potatoes. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed with an electric mixer. Scrap down the sides of bowl occasionally and beat until batter is smooth.
- Spoon mixture heaping tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between puffs.
- Bake immediately for 35 minutes or until puffs are golden brown and have a crisp shell. (Do not open the oven door during the first 15 minutes of baking time.) Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
- Custard Filling Directions: Combine Splenda Granulated Sweetener and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan; gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil. Cook 1 additional minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir about 1/4 the hot mixture into egg yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and strain mixture through a sieve; cover the surface of the custard with wax paper or plastic wrap to prevent a film from forming on the surface.
- Cut tops off and fill with 2 1/2 tablespoons custard; replace tops and drizzle with 1 tablespoon chocolate sauce. Serve immediately.
- Storage: Store baked unfilled cream puff shells in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use within 24 hours or freeze up to 2 months.
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Fluffy pastry shells filled with a thick vanilla custard and drizzled with chocolate sauce.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 12 ServingsServing Size: 1 cream puff
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 9 grams
Saturated Fat: 4.5 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 180 milligrams
Cholesterol: 120 milligrams
Protein: 6 grams
Carbohydrates: 24 grams
Sugars: 12 grams
Recipe and image appear courtesy of Splenda.
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.