- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
Custard Filling Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup commercial chocolate sauce
Cream Puffs Ingredients
- Cream Puff Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine water, salt, Splenda Granulated Sweetener and butter in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until butter melts. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture leaves sides of pan and forms a smooth ball. The mixture resembles mashed potatoes. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed with an electric mixer. Scrap down the sides of bowl occasionally and beat until batter is smooth.
- Spoon mixture heaping tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between puffs.
- Bake immediately for 35 minutes or until puffs are golden brown and have a crisp shell. (Do not open the oven door during the first 15 minutes of baking time.) Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
- Custard Filling Directions: Combine Splenda Granulated Sweetener and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan; gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil. Cook 1 additional minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir about 1/4 the hot mixture into egg yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and strain mixture through a sieve; cover the surface of the custard with wax paper or plastic wrap to prevent a film from forming on the surface.
- Cut tops off and fill with 2 1/2 tablespoons custard; replace tops and drizzle with 1 tablespoon chocolate sauce. Serve immediately.
- Storage: Store baked unfilled cream puff shells in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use within 24 hours or freeze up to 2 months.
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Fluffy pastry shells filled with a thick vanilla custard and drizzled with chocolate sauce.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 12 ServingsServing Size: 1 cream puff
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 9 grams
Saturated Fat: 4.5 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 180 milligrams
Cholesterol: 120 milligrams
Protein: 6 grams
Carbohydrates: 24 grams
Sugars: 12 grams
Recipe and image appear courtesy of Splenda.