- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 3 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon grated low-fat Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 can (19 ounces) tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2- inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons grated low-fat Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with vegetable spray.
- Crust: In a nonstick saucepan over high heat, bring stock to a boil. Add barley; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, for 45 to 50 minutes or until grain is tender and liquid absorbed; cool for 10 minutes. Add milk, egg whites, Parmesan cheese and basil. Press mixture into bottom of prepared springform pan. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden at edges and firm on top; remove from oven.
- Topping: In a nonstick saucepan sprayed with vegetable spray; cook onions and garlic over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until softened and lightly browned. Add mushrooms and green peppers; cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Add crushed tomatoes, stock, tomato paste, bay leaf, brown sugar, chili powder and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium.
- Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken; cook for 3 minutes or until cooked through. Spread mixture over baked crust. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Recipe Yield: Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Sodium: 278 milligrams
Cholesterol: 15 milligrams
Protein: 12 grams
Carbohydrates: 35 grams
1 Starch, 3 Vegetables, 1/2 Very Lean Meat
Source: America's Everyday Diabetes Cookbook
Book Title: America's Everyday Diabetes Cookbook
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.