- 1 15-Pound WHOLE TURKEY fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 3 Large lemons
- 2 Large limes
- 1-1/2 Teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper coarsely ground
- 1/4 Cup dry white wine (see note)
- 1/4 Cup packed brown sugar
- Pan Gravy
- 1 Bunch, each fresh sage, marjoram, and thyme, divided
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for gravy. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Peel skin from lemons and limes to make rose garnishes. Reserve in refrigerator.
- Squeeze enough juice from the lemons and limes to equal 2 tablespoons each. Cut the remaining lemons and limes in half and place in the turkey cavity. Sprinkle salt in the cavity.
- In a small bowl, mix the wine, brown sugar, and citrus juices; reserve for glaze.
- Gently loosen skin from the turkey breast without totally detaching the skin and carefully place 1 tablespoon each fresh sage and marjoram under the skin. Replace the skin.
- Fold neck skin and fasten to the back with 1 or 2 skewers. Fold the wings under the back of the turkey. Return legs to tucked position.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (about 2-1/2 inches deep) roasting pan. Rub turkey with salt, pepper, and 2 to 3 tablespoons of salad oil. Insert oven-safe meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful that the pointed end of the thermometer does not touch the bone.
- Roast the turkey in a preheated 325 degree F. oven about 3-3/4 hours. During the last hour of roasting time, baste with the pan drippings. During the last 30 minutes, baste with the citrus glaze. Loosely cover with lightweight foil to prevent excessive browning. Continue to roast until the thermometer registers 180 degrees F. in the thigh, or 170 degrees F. in the breast.
- Remove turkey from the oven and allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.
- Place on a warm large platter and garnish the platter with the remaining fresh herbs and lemon and lime roses.
- Prepare lemon and lime roses as follows: with a small sharp knife or vegetable peeler, cut a continuous thin 1-inch strip of peel. Avoid cutting into the white pith. Roll tightly, skin inside out, and secure with toothpicks. Reserve in a bowl filled with ice water until time for service.
- Provides 22 servings at 6 ounces per portion. Note: Alcohol-free wine may be substituted for the dry white wine.
Recipe Yield: Servings: 22
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 16 grams
Sodium: 233 milligrams
Cholesterol: 145 milligrams
Protein: 50 grams
Carbohydrates: 1 grams
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.