- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut crosswise in 3/4-inch slices
- 1 rib celery, cut crosswise in 3/4-inch slices
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato or yam, peeled and cut in 3/4-inch half-moons
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup non-fat, reduced-sodium chicken or turkey stock, heated
- 1 Crispin apple, peeled, cored and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh (and cooked) or frozen (and defrosted) cranberries
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 cups diced cooked turkey (about 3/4 lb.)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small Dutch oven or deep pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onion until it softens, about 4 minutes. Add the carrot, celery, rutabaga and sweet potato. Lower heat to medium-low and, stirring frequently, saute until vegetables become lightly browned. Add the bay leaf and stock. Cover tightly and cook at a gentle simmer until vegetables are almost tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add the apple, cranberries and thyme. Cover and gently simmer until the apple has softened and cranberries are tender, about 5 minutes. Add turkey and heat through completely, about 5 minutes or less. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over cooked pasta or rice, if desired.
Recipe Yield: Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 222 milligrams
Protein: 27 grams
Carbohydrates: 26 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
3 Lean Meat; 1 Bread/Starch, 2 Vegetable
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.