This is a great recipe for fall with two seasonal favorites, brussels sprouts and butternut squash. Butternut squash is sometimes known in Australia and New Zealand as butternut pumpkin or gramma.
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP unsalted butter
- 16 Brussels sprouts (about 8 ounces), bottom trimmed, outer leaves removed, and halved
- 2 cups diced (1/2 inch) butternut squash
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 cup chicken stock
- In a saute pan large enough to hold the chicken in a single layer, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to pan, skin side down and saute for about 4-5 minutes per side or until chicken is browned.
- Remove chicken from pan and reserve.
- In same pan, add butter. Allow the butter to melt over medium heat. Add squash and sprouts to pan and sauté, tossing occasionally, until the outsides are golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from pan and hold separately from chicken.
- Turn heat to high and add stock, syrup and mustard. Stir and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken back to the pan, cover, and reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook over medium low heat for 20-25 minutes or until chicken registers 170 degrees F with an instant read thermometer.
- Add vegetables back to pan, cover again, and cook for another 8-10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken and vegetables to a serving platter, placing vegetables around chicken.
- Turn heat to high and boil sauce until it is reduced and slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over chicken and serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 23 grams
Saturated Fat: 7 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Sodium: 420 milligrams
Protein: 34 grams
Carbohydrates: 23 grams
Sugars: 9 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵