This recipe for French toast includes a hint of vanilla and can include fresh fruit as a naturally sweet topping. This is a nice addition to a brunch menu. It is especially fun for Mother’s Day breakfast or brunch because it’s easy enough for kids to help make.
Recipe Yield: 6
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup non-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, or to taste (optional)
- Bannanas and fresh blueberries (optional)
Content Continues Below ⤵
- Preheat the griddle over medium heat, or set an electric frying pan at 375 degrees.
- Put eggs, milk, and vanilla in a pie pan or shallow bowl and beat with a fork until well mixed. If you would like to include cinnamon, mix it in with the egg mix.
- Grease the griddle or pan with a thin layer of oil or use nonstick spray.
- Dip both sides of bread, one slice at a time, in the egg mixture and cook on the hot griddle or frying pan.
- Cook on one side until golden brown. Turn the bread over to cook the other side. It will take about 4 minutes on each side.
- Optional: serve with banana slices or fresh blueberries. One-half a banana contains about 50 calories, 13 grams of carbs, 7 grams of sugars, and 2 grams of fiber. 1/4 cup of blueberries contains about 20 calories, 5 grams of carbohydrate, 3 grams of sugars, and 1 gram of fiber. This is not included in the nutritional information for this recipe, so you have to add it if you choose to add fruit.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Unsaturated Fat: 1 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 161 milligrams
Cholesterol: 62 milligrams
Protein: 6 grams
Carbohydrates: 13 grams
Sugars: 3 grams
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.