- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 large red bell peppers (12 ounces total), cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Four 4-ounce fish fillets such as scrod, cod, white fish, haddock, or orange roughy
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- In a large non-stick skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the red peppers, coriander, and pepper flakes; saute 1 minute. Cover and cook over low heat until the peppers are very tender, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender; blend until smooth, scraping down the sides twice. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of the salt.
- Sprinkle the fish with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and place in the same skillet. Spoon the puree over the fish; cover and simmer until the fish is opaque, about 8 minutes.
- Serve the fish topped with the pepper puree and with lime wedges.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 Servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 355 milligrams
Cholesterol: 49 milligrams
Protein: 21 grams
Carbohydrates: 9 grams
Sugars: 4 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
2 Vegetable, 3 Very Lean Meat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes