- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 2 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Place lentils in a strainer and discard any stones that you find. Rinse and drain.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and add chicken broth. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Pour lentils into the pot slowly so that the water does not stop boiling. Add the onion and garlic. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Check after 15 minutes to see if the pan is dry. Add 1/4 cup water if needed. If there is too much liquid, remove lid and boil to evaporate.
- Remove from heat and add vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well. Place on individual plates with the sliced pork arranged on top and sliced tomatoes on the side.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 2 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 8 grams
Fiber: 13 grams
Sodium: 518 milligrams
Protein: 16 grams
Carbohydrates: 39 grams
Sugars: 12 grams
2 Starch, 1 Very Lean Meat, 2 Vegetable, 1 Fat
Source: Mix 'n Match Meals in Minutes for People with Diabetes
Book Title: Mix 'n Match Meals in Minutes for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.