- 1-1/4 pounds lean stew beef, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium-large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups water
- 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with roasted garlic
- 10-3/4-ounce can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat. Cook the beef in two batches for several minutes, until nicely browned.
- Transfer the beef to a 3-quart or larger slow cooker. Add the onion, carrots, beef granules, thyme, oregano, and pepper. Pour in the water, undrained tomatoes, and tomato soup.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Add the barley and cook for an additional hour at high or 2 hours at low, until the barley is tender. Add the peas and cook for 30 minutes at high or 1 hour at low. Serve hot.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 11 servings``Serving size: 1 cup
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2.5 grams
Sodium: 442 milligrams
Cholesterol: 29 milligrams
Protein: 14 grams
Carbohydrates: 16 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1-1/2 Lean Meat, 1/2 Starch, 1-1/2 Vegetable
Source: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan
Book Title: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.