- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon dried savory or fines herbes
- 1 cup 3/4-inch pieces fresh asparagus spears (use thin spears for best results)
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon fresh or jarred minced garlic
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (or 1-1/2 cups brown rice plus 1-1/2 cups wild rice)
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with the olive oil and preheat over medium heat. Add the onion and savory or fines herbes, cover, and cook for a couple of minutes or until the onions start to soften.
- Add the asparagus and bell pepper and cook for another minute or two, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add the peas and garlic, and cook for another few seconds or until the garlic begins to turn color and smell fragrant.
- Add the rice, salt, and pepper to the skillet and toss over medium heat for a minute or two to heat through. Serve hot.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 7 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2.8 grams
Saturated Fat: 0.4 grams
Fiber: 2.8 grams
Sodium: 149 milligrams
Protein: 3.6 grams
Carbohydrates: 23 grams
1-1/2 Bread/Starch, 1/2 Fat, 1/2 Vegetable
Source: Secrets of Good-Carb Low-Carb Living
Book Title: Secrets of Good-Carb Low-Carb Living