- 1 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking or instant)
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-3 cloves of garlic (to taste),finely minced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 carrot, diagonally cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large, heavy skillet over medium heat, toast raw oatmeal, stirring constantly, until oatmeal is lightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes. (Oatmeal burns easily, so watch carefully.) Immediately transfer oatmeal to a small bowl and set aside.
- In large pot, heat oil until hot. Add onion, reduce heat to medium and, stirring frequently, saute onion until soft and pale gold. Add garlic and continue sauteing a few minutes more. Do not allow onion or garlic to burn. Add vegetables and broth. Bring soup to a boil. reduce heat to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes. Add oatmeal. Simmer 2 minutes more, or until oatmeal is tender. Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe Yield: Makes 6 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Sodium: 589 milligrams
Protein: 5 grams
Carbohydrates: 14 grams
1 Bread/Starch, 1 Lean-Meat
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.