- 1 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking or instant)
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-3 cloves of garlic (to taste),finely minced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 carrot, diagonally cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large, heavy skillet over medium heat, toast raw oatmeal, stirring constantly, until oatmeal is lightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes. (Oatmeal burns easily, so watch carefully.) Immediately transfer oatmeal to a small bowl and set aside.
- In large pot, heat oil until hot. Add onion, reduce heat to medium and, stirring frequently, saute onion until soft and pale gold. Add garlic and continue sauteing a few minutes more. Do not allow onion or garlic to burn. Add vegetables and broth. Bring soup to a boil. reduce heat to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes. Add oatmeal. Simmer 2 minutes more, or until oatmeal is tender. Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe Yield: Makes 6 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Sodium: 589 milligrams
Protein: 5 grams
Carbohydrates: 14 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1 Bread/Starch, 1 Lean-Meat
Recipe and image appear courtesy of American Institute for Cancer Research.
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.