- 2 cups cooked brown rice (either instant or regular)
- 1 egg white or 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Egg substitute equivalent to 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine the rice, egg white, Parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, pepper, and salt. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch nonstick pie plate (or a Pyrex pie plate sprayed with nonstick spray.) Bake the rice crust for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Combine the eggs, milk, nutmeg, and Parmesan cheese. Mix well. Pour into the rice crust. Lower the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake quiche for 25 minutes.
- Add tomatoes in a circle on top of the egg filling. Continue to bake until filling is set or a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and tomatoes are slightly browned, about 5-6 minutes.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5 grams
Sodium: 490 milligrams
Cholesterol: 13 milligrams
Protein: 16 grams
Carbohydrates: 29 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
2 Starch, 1 Lean Meat
Source: Express Lane Diabetic Cooking
Book Title: Express Lane Diabetic Cooking
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.