- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
- 4 large Fuji apples, about 2 lb (1 kg), cored, quartered lengthwise and cut into half-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup water (60 mL)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (15 mL)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (2 mL)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (1 mL)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries (60 mL)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional) (.5 mL)
- In large, heavy saucepan, heat canola oil and add apples. Saute over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until apples are lightly caramelized. Add water and lemon juice to pan, cook and stir briefly to deglaze pan.
- Carefully transfer apples to bowl of food processor and pulse just a few times to chunky consistency. Stir in vanilla, cinnamon and cranberries. Serve warm.
Nothing beats cooking with apples and cranberries for the holidays and this homemade sauce combines the two fruits for a show-stopping side dish.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 2-2/3 cups (650 mL); 8 servings. Serving size: 1/3 cup (75 mL).
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 9 grams
Source: Cheryl Forberg, R.D.
Recipe Options - Cool Things You Can Do
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.