- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Heat rice, water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling in small saucepan; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Drain, if necessary, and cool.
- Mix milk, margarine, egg, egg whites, and rice. Add combined all-purpose and whole wheat flour, baking powder, sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon batter into 12 greased muffin cups.
- Bake at 400 degrees until muffins are browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
Wild rice adds crunchy texture and a nutritional boost to these hearty muffins.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 12 muffins (1 per serving)
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4.5 grams
Sodium: 494 milligrams
Cholesterol: 18 milligrams
Protein: 4.6 grams
Carbohydrates: 19 grams
1-1/2 Bread, 1/2 Fat
Source: 1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes
Book Title: 1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.