- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1-1/2 cups diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 4 cups crushed canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot or kettle, heat the white wine over medium heat until it boils slightly.
- Add the onions, celery, red and green pepper, and garlic and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add the okra, tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, cayenne pepper, paprika, celery seed, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 5-6 minutes more until the shrimp turn pink. Season with pepper and salt.
- Serve in bowls with cooked rice if desired.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 6 servings (1 cup per serving)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Sodium: 607 milligrams
Cholesterol: 107 milligrams
Protein: 16 grams
Carbohydrates: 21 grams
Sugars: 12 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1 Carbohydrate (equals 3 vegetable), 2 Very Lean Meat, 1 Vegetable
Source: The Diabetes Food and Nutrition Bible
Book Title: The Diabetes Food and Nutrition Bible
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.