- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1-1/2 cups diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 4 cups crushed canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot or kettle, heat the white wine over medium heat until it boils slightly.
- Add the onions, celery, red and green pepper, and garlic and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add the okra, tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, cayenne pepper, paprika, celery seed, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 5-6 minutes more until the shrimp turn pink. Season with pepper and salt.
- Serve in bowls with cooked rice if desired.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 6 servings (1 cup per serving)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Sodium: 607 milligrams
Cholesterol: 107 milligrams
Protein: 16 grams
Carbohydrates: 21 grams
Sugars: 12 grams
1 Carbohydrate (equals 3 vegetable), 2 Very Lean Meat, 1 Vegetable
Source: The Diabetes Food and Nutrition Bible
Book Title: The Diabetes Food and Nutrition Bible