- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 pounds round steak or other lean beef, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced green bell pepper
- Heat the margarine in a large non-stick skillet. Brown the beef cubes on all sides over high heat; transfer to a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Lower the heat under the skillet and add the onion and garlic; stir and cook about 5 minutes. Transfer to the large pot.
- Add 1/2 cup water, the parsley, orange zest, rosemary, bay leaves, cinnamon, and salt to the large pot.
- Cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Add water if the mixture becomes dry. Remove the bay leaves.
- Add the mushrooms and green pepper, stir, cover, and cook about 5 minutes more.
Recipe Yield: Yield: About 6 cups``Servings: 8 (3/4 cup) servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 7 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 230 milligrams
Cholesterol: 66 milligrams
Protein: 26 grams
Carbohydrates: 8 grams
Sugars: 4 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1 Vegetable, 3 Lean Meat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.