- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 pounds round steak or other lean beef, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced green bell pepper
- Heat the margarine in a large non-stick skillet. Brown the beef cubes on all sides over high heat; transfer to a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Lower the heat under the skillet and add the onion and garlic; stir and cook about 5 minutes. Transfer to the large pot.
- Add 1/2 cup water, the parsley, orange zest, rosemary, bay leaves, cinnamon, and salt to the large pot.
- Cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Add water if the mixture becomes dry. Remove the bay leaves.
- Add the mushrooms and green pepper, stir, cover, and cook about 5 minutes more.
Recipe Yield: Yield: About 6 cups``Servings: 8 (3/4 cup) servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 7 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 230 milligrams
Cholesterol: 66 milligrams
Protein: 26 grams
Carbohydrates: 8 grams
Sugars: 4 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1 Vegetable, 3 Lean Meat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes