- 1 medium beet (or 3/4 cup pre-shredded)
- 2 medium carrots (or 3/4 cup pre-shredded)
- 1 large peeled Granny Smith apple
- 1/4 cup walnut halves, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley or dill or combination
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- To shred beet, insert each hand in plastic sandwich bag to avoid staining hands. Peel beet using swivel blade vegetable peeler. Using coarse side of box grater, shred beet to get 3/4 cup. Save remaining beet for another use. Shred carrots and apple. Place shredded beets, carrots and apple in mixing bowl and mix to combine. Add walnuts and green herbs on top of mixed vegetables, and set bowl aside.
- For dressing, in small bowl whisk together lemon juice and salt until salt dissolves. Add 3-4 grinds of pepper. Whisk in oil. Pour dressing over salad and mix until well combined and evenly dressed. Serve salad within 1 hour of combining with herbs and dressing.
Recipe Yield: Yield: Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 8 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 330 milligrams
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 11 grams