- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 loaf French Bread (8 ounces), spit horizontally
- Small fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Prepare seasoning oil: Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic, basil and red-pepper flakes; cook, stirring, 5 to 7 minutes or until garlic is golden. Cool the oil and strain.
- Meanwhile, prepare tomato topping: Stir together tomatoes, basil, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Heat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Brush cut sides of split bread with about 2 tablespoons seasoning oil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake in heated 500 degree F. oven 3 to 5 minutes or until golden.
- Slice toasted bread into 2-inch widths and arrange on a large serving platter. Spoon tomato topping over and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Recipe Yield: Servings: 12; Difficulty Level: 2
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 7 grams
Sodium: 211 milligrams
Cholesterol: 2 milligrams
Protein: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 13 grams
1 Bread/Starch; 2 Fat
Source: Family Circle All-Time Favorite Recipes
Book Title: Family Circle All-Time Favorite Recipes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.