- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon annatto seeds
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (14 ounces) reduced-sodium whole tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound flounder fillets, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large saucpan over medium-high heat; add annatto seeds and saute for 3 minutes. Remove seeds with slotted spoon and discard. Add onion to saucepan; saute 2 minutes.
- Add broth, potato, tomatoes and liquid, and thyme. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Using potato masher or kitchen fork, coarsely mash mixture in pan.
- Add peas and flounder; simmer until fish is tender and flakes with a fork, about 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 Servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4.2 grams
Sodium: 227 milligrams
Cholesterol: 60 milligrams
Protein: 28.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 21 grams
1 Bread/Starch, 3 Meat
Source: 1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes
Book Title: 1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes