- 1/3 cup wild rice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon dried savory leaves
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- White pepper, to taste
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
- Rinse rice under cold water and drain. Heat rice and broth to boiling in small saucepan; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender and stock absorbed, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Mix milk and flour in medium saucepan; heat over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, to boiling. Boil, whisking constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat; add cheese and whisk until cheese is melted (sauce will be very thick). Cook slightly, stir in onion and herbs. Season to taste with white pepper.
- Beat egg yolks in small bowl until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes; whisk into cheese mixture. Stir about 1/4 the beaten egg whites into cheese mixture; fold cheese mixture into remaining egg whites. Fold in rice.
- Pour mixture into lightly greased 1-quart souffle dish. Bake at 350 degrees F. until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 Servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 6.5 grams
Sodium: 288 milligrams
Cholesterol: 168 milligrams
Protein: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 23 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1-1/2 Bread/Starch, 1-1/2 Meat, 1/2 Fat
Source: 1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes
Book Title: 1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.