- 1/3 cup wild rice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon dried savory leaves
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- White pepper, to taste
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
- Rinse rice under cold water and drain. Heat rice and broth to boiling in small saucepan; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender and stock absorbed, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Mix milk and flour in medium saucepan; heat over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, to boiling. Boil, whisking constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat; add cheese and whisk until cheese is melted (sauce will be very thick). Cook slightly, stir in onion and herbs. Season to taste with white pepper.
- Beat egg yolks in small bowl until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes; whisk into cheese mixture. Stir about 1/4 the beaten egg whites into cheese mixture; fold cheese mixture into remaining egg whites. Fold in rice.
- Pour mixture into lightly greased 1-quart souffle dish. Bake at 350 degrees F. until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 Servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 6.5 grams
Sodium: 288 milligrams
Cholesterol: 168 milligrams
Protein: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 23 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1-1/2 Bread/Starch, 1-1/2 Meat, 1/2 Fat
Source: 1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes
Book Title: 1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes