- 1 slice oatmeal bread
- Canola oil spray
- 12 Boston lettuce leaves
- 12 pink grapefruit sections (fresh, jarred, or canned)
- 12 thin avocado slices (1/2 medium avocado)
- 2 kiwi fruit, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 finely-sliced green bell pepper rings
- 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1-2 Tbsp. honey, preferably clover
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh mint leaves, or according to taste
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make croutons, coat one side of the bread with cooking spray. Sprinkle on the oregano. Bake on a rack in the center of the oven for 3 minutes, until the bread is dry and almost hard in the center. Let it sit 2 minutes. With a serrated knife, cut the bread into 1/2-inch cubes and set aside.
- On each of four salad plates, make a bed using 3 lettuce leaves. Place 3 grapefruit sections and 3 avocado slices in the center. Arrange kiwi slices in an overlapping ring around them. Place the 3 pepper rings over the grapefruit and avocado.
- For the dressing, whisk together in a small bowl the grapefruit and lime juice, 1 tablespoon honey and mint. Whisk in the oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Taste, and if too tart, add the remaining honey, as desired.
- To serve, drizzle dressing over top of each salad. Sprinkle one-fourth of the warm croutons over each and serve.
Recipe Yield: Makes 4 servings. (6 cups salad)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 6 grams
Saturated Fat: 0.5 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Sodium: 42 milligrams
Protein: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 28 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵