- Canola oil spray
- 1-1/4 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple butter or applesauce
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or other chopped dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat a large cookie sheet with oil spray. Set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. Use a food processor or hand mix eggs with oil and apple butter until blended. Blend in the sugar. Add half of the dry mixture and blend until smooth. Add remaining dry (The dough will be soft and sticky but easy to handle.) Transfer dough to a large bowl. Fold in the dried fruit.
- Place one-half of the dough at each end of the cookie sheet. With damp hands, form each piece of dough into a log 3 inches wide and about 3/4-inch high. Place logs about 4 inches apart. (Logs will spread during baking.) Bake 25-30 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes. (Leave heat on.)
- With a serrated knife, cut each log into 1/2-inch cookies cut on the diagonal. Bake 10 minutes. Turn each cookie over and bake 10 more minutes. Turn off heat and leave biscotti in the oven 10 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
Recipe Yield: Makes 40 biscotti
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Sodium: 38 milligrams
Protein: 1 grams
Carbohydrates: 10 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1 Bread/Starch. 1/2 Fat
Recipe and image appear courtesy of American Institute for Cancer Research.