- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 10 oz. crimini mushrooms, cut into 1/2- inch slices
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, minced
- 1 1/2 lb. skinless boneless chicken breast
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb. spinach leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard, or to taste
- Pick over peas, place in a saucepan and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Bring water to a boil and boil peas 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Soak peas 1 hour and drain.
- In a heavy kettle, heat 1 tablespoon oil over moderate heat until hot Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens. Add mushrooms and thyme and cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and liquid evaporates. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in kettle and cook chicken, stirring, until browned. Sprinkle flour over chicken, stirring, to coat. Add broth and bring to boil. Stir in peas and mushroom mixture. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until peas are tender.
- While mixture is cooking, cut spinach leaves into thin strips.
- When peas in simmering mixture are tender, stir spinach into the chicken mixture. Gradually blend in mustard to taste. Simmer gently, stirring, 2 minutes,or just until spinach is tender. (Be careful to not overcook.) Add salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe Yield: Yield: Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Sodium: 286 milligrams
Protein: 28 grams
Carbohydrates: 19 grams
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.