- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh parsley
- Saute the onion in the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the rice; cook 1 minute. Stir in the broth, currants, turmeric, cinnamon, and salt (if desired).
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 6 Servings (1/2 cup each)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Sodium: 35 milligrams
Protein: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 37 grams
1-1/2 Starch, 1 Fruit
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.