- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup hot tap water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fructose
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon low-salt baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat egg yolks, hot water, and vanilla together until very thick and pale.
- Slowly beat in 1/2 cup fructose and set aside. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add salt, and continue beating until whites hold soft peaks.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup fructose to egg whites, beating until stiff but not dry. Stir 1/3 of whites into yolks, and sift flour and baking powder over egg mixture. Add pecans and remaining whites, and gently fold until blended.
- Place 12 paper liners in a 12-cup muffin pan. Spoon batter evenly into cups, and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
Glycemic Index: 30, Glycemic Load: 6
Recipe Yield: Yield: 12 servings
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4 grams
Sodium: 27 milligrams
Cholesterol: 35 milligrams
Protein: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 20 grams
Source: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Terrific Diabetic Meals
Book Title: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Terrific Diabetic Meals