- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups Vegetable broth or one 14-ounce can beef or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, washed
- One 16-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In a heavy saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 5 minutes, until the onion is tender.
- Add the broth and lentils. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their liquid, 1/2 cup water, and the remaining ingredients; simmer over low heat, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water if the mixture becomes too dry.
Recipe Yield: Makes: 6 Servings (1 Serving = 2/3 Cup)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Sodium: 324 milligrams
Protein: 8 grams
Carbohydrates: 20 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1/2 Fat
Source: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes