- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup margarine, softened
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup low-fat (1 percent fat) buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium apple, unpeeled, cored and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick pan spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, margarine, and egg whites until smooth. Stir in the buttermilk. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and mix just until the ingredients are moistened. (The batter will be stiff.) Fold in the apple.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into nine 3-inch squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 1 coffee cake (9 servings)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5 grams
Sodium: 306 milligrams
Protein: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 37 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
2-1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Fat
Source: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes