- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed shredded peeled zucchini
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup canola or corn oil
- 2 large eggs, or 1/2 cup egg substitute
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick pan spray.
- Combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Stir in zucchini, walnuts, lemon zest, and cinnamon.
- Combine the milk, oil, and eggs; add to the dry ingredients and mix until the dry ingredients are moistened. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread stand in the pan for 5 minutes; turn the loaf out onto a wire cooling rack. When cool, cut in 18 slices.
Serving: 1/2-inch thick slice. Also contains 1g dietary fiber and 6g sugars
Recipe Yield: Yields one 18-slice loaf.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 6 grams
Sodium: 206 milligrams
Cholesterol: 24 milligrams
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 15 grams
1 Starch, 1 Fat
Source: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes