- 1 large egg (48g)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 3/4 cup matzo meal
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch of ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp chicken broth
- Beat the egg and oil together in a bowl, then add 1/2 cup of matzo meal, 1/2 tsp of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Stir until ingredients are combined and form a smooth batter. Slowly stir in the broth. Cover the batter and refrigerate for 20 minutes until the batter thickens.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the remaining salt, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Wet your hands and start to form 1 teaspoon of the batter at a time into small balls. The batter should be too soft to form smooth balls. If you are not sure, cook a ball for 10 minutes or so and taste it. If necessary you can then add a tablespoon of matzo meal to the batter.
- When all the balls are in the water, cover and simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes, until they are firm.
- Remember to keep the balls warm by leaving in the covered pan until ready to serve. If necessary they can be stored in the refrigerator in the cooking liquid and later warmed in the same liquid.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 5 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 6 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 grams
Sodium: 34 milligrams
Cholesterol: 72 milligrams
Protein: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 1 grams