- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium orange
- 2 teaspoons margarine, melted
- 1 large egg, beaten, or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cut aluminum foil to fit the bottom of a 9x5-inch loaf pan and spray the sides of the pan with nonstick pan spray.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Grate the zest from the orange and set aside. Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice into a measuring cup. Add the grated zest and melted margarine to the juice and add enough hot water to make 1 cup.
- Stir the liquids into the dry ingredients. Add the egg, vanilla, cranberries, and walnuts; stir to mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the top of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- If time permits, let stand overnight for easy slicing. Cut the loaf into 18 slices.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 1 loaf (18 slices)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Sodium: 109 milligrams
Cholesterol: 12 milligrams
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 19 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1 Starch, 1/2 Fat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.