- 2-1/2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 20 fluid ounces Chicken or Vegetable stock
- 12 ounces quinoa, well-rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 7 ounces roasted red and yellow peppers, diced
- In a medium saucepan, sweat the shallots and garlic in 2 fluid ounces of the stock until the shallots are translucent.
- Add the quinoa, remaining stock, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Cover the pot tightly and place in a 350 degree F. oven until the quinoa is tender and has absorbed all the liquid, about 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf and thyme. Fluff the quinoa with a fork to separate the grains and release steam. Fold in the peppers and serve.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 2-1/4 pounds; Serves: 12``Serving Size: 3 ounces
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 150 milligrams
Protein: 5 grams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams
Sugars: 1 grams
1 Bread/Starch, 1 Vegetable
Source: The Professional Chef's Techniques of Healthy Cooking
Book Title: The Professional Chef's Techniques of Healthy Cooking