- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 lb lean ground turkey breast
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion and bell pepper until translucent. Add the turkey and cook about 5 minutes. Drain off any fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Simmer 15 minutes and serve on buns.
- To reduce the sodium content of this recipe, use salt-free tomato sauce.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 6 grams
Sodium: 787 milligrams
Cholesterol: 68 milligrams
Protein: 27 grams
Carbohydrates: 21 grams
1 Starch; 3 Very Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable
Source: The New Soul Food Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Soul Food Cookbook for People with Diabetes