- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 lb lean ground turkey breast
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion and bell pepper until translucent. Add the turkey and cook about 5 minutes. Drain off any fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Simmer 15 minutes and serve on buns.
- To reduce the sodium content of this recipe, use salt-free tomato sauce.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 6 grams
Sodium: 787 milligrams
Cholesterol: 68 milligrams
Protein: 27 grams
Carbohydrates: 21 grams
1 Starch; 3 Very Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable
Source: The New Soul Food Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Soul Food Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.