- 1/4 cup chopped onion (about 1 small)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen squash, thawed
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Make a 4-inch band of triple thickness aluminum foil 2 inches longer than circumference of 6-cup souffle dish or 1-1/2-quart casserole; secure foil band around top edge of dish and foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook onion in margarine in 2-quart nonstick saucepan until onion is softened. Stir in flour, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until margarine is absorbed; remove from heat. Beat milk and egg yolks; stir into flour mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in squash.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in medium bowl on high speed until stiff but not dry. Stir about one-fourth of the egg white mixture into squash mixture. Fold squash mixture into remaining egg white mixture.
- Carefully pour into souffle dish. Bake uncovered about 50 minutes or until set and cracks feel dry when touched lightly. Carefully remove foil band and divide souffle into 4 servings with 2 forks. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Recipe Yield: Servings: 4
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 9 grams
Sodium: 330 milligrams
Cholesterol: 165 milligrams
Protein: 11 grams
Carbohydrates: 17 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1/2 Bread/Starch; 1 Medium-Fat Meat; 1 Vegetable
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.