- 2 large leeks, well washed and thinly sliced, white parts only
- 2 large or 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups Homemade Chicken Broth OR canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced chives, OR 1 tablespoon minced green onion tops, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, combine the leeks, potatoes, and broth. Cook, covered, over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Puree through a food mill, food processor, or in a blender in batches, until smooth. Chill.
- Stir in the evaporated skim milk, salt, and pepper. Garnish the soup with chives at serving time.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 9 cups (9 servings)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Sodium: 235 milligrams
Cholesterol: 1 milligrams
Protein: 5 grams
Carbohydrates: 15 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes