- 2 large leeks, well washed and thinly sliced, white parts only
- 2 large or 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups Homemade Chicken Broth OR canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced chives, OR 1 tablespoon minced green onion tops, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, combine the leeks, potatoes, and broth. Cook, covered, over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Puree through a food mill, food processor, or in a blender in batches, until smooth. Chill.
- Stir in the evaporated skim milk, salt, and pepper. Garnish the soup with chives at serving time.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 9 cups (9 servings)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Sodium: 235 milligrams
Cholesterol: 1 milligrams
Protein: 5 grams
Carbohydrates: 15 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.