- Pastry for single-crust 9-inch pie
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice or frozen lemon juice concentrate*
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 cups Equal Spoonful or Granulated**
- 2 tablespoons stick butter or margarine
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream tartar
- 2/3 cup Equal Spoonful or Granulated***
* Such as Minute Maid Premium Lemon juice (frozen) 100% Pure Lemon Juice from Concentrate
** May substitute 36 packets Equal sweetener
For Pie Filling:
- For Pie Filling, roll pastry on floured surface into circle 1 inch larger than inverted 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into plate; trim and flute edge. Pierce bottom and side of pastry with fork. Bake in preheated 425F oven 10 to 12 minutes or until pastry is golden. Cool on wire rack.
- Combine water, lemon juice and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Beat eggs, 2 egg whites and lemon peel in medium bowl. Mix in 1-1/2 cups Equal. Stir about half of hot cornstarch mixture into egg mixture.
- Return all to saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in butter until melted. Stir in food coloring, if desired. Pour mixture over baked pie shell.
- For Meringue, beat 3 egg whites in mixing bowl on medium speed of mixer until foamy. Add cream of tartar. Beat to soft peaks. Gradually beat in 2/3 cup Equal, beating to stiff peaks. Spread meringue over hot lemon filling, carefully sealing to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping.
- Bake pie in 425F oven about 5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool completely on wire rack. Cut pie into wedges.
Recipe Yield: Serves: 8
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 9 grams
Sodium: 133 milligrams
Cholesterol: 65 milligrams
Protein: 5 grams
Carbohydrates: 20 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵
1 starch, 2 fat