- 16 ounces can mixed cut green & wax beans
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pimiento, chopped
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- Crisp lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- Drain beans, saving liquid.
- Combine this liquid with vinegar in a saucepan.
- Add mixed pickling spice, either loose or in a small cheesecloth bag.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix all the vegetables in a bowl.
- Remove liquid from heat; add sweetener and stir until dissolved.
- Pour over vegetables and remove spice bag or loose spices.
- Chill several hours, stirring occasionaly.
- Drain before serving on crisp lettuce.
Recipe Yield: 6
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Protein: 1 grams
Carbohydrates: 7 grams
Source: The Diabetic Newsletter