- 1 tsp crushed mixed peppercorns, divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups sliced plum tomatoes
- 1 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 1 cup Zinfandel OR dry red wine OR reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 dried California chilies, chopped
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds, toasted
- Salt, to taste
- 6 tbsp finely chopped fresh purple basil
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns in a medium non-stick skillet; add chicken and saute until pieces are lightly browned.
- Combine fresh and dried tomatoes, wine, chilies, and chili powder in large saucepan; stir in chicken. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 6 minutes. Uncover and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in avocado, sunflower seeds, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns. Season to taste with salt. Spoon into bowl; sprinkle with basil.
Recipe Yield: Serves: 6. Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 9.2 grams
Sodium: 272 milligrams
Cholesterol: 46 milligrams
Protein: 21.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 20 grams
4 Vegetable, 2 Meat, 1 Fat
Source: 1,001 Recipes For People with Diabetes
Book Title: 1,001 Recipes For People with Diabetes