- 3 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup long grain brown or wild rice
- Pinch coarse salt to taste
- 1 medium yellow squash, cubed
- 1 medium zucchini squash, cubed
- 2 cups of baby lima beans
- 2 cups of whole-kernel corn
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted & cut into bite-sized strips
- 1 green bell pepper, roasted & cut into bit-sized strips
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed or corn oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- In a large, deep pot over medium heat, bring the chicken stock or water to a rolling boil. Sprinkle in the rice and a pinch of salt, then lower the heat. Cover and steam for 20 minutes. Gradually add the squash, lima beans, peppers, and corn; stir well. Cover and steam for an additional 20 minutes.
- While this mixture cooks, warm the oil in a medium cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions, stirring briskly and cooking for about 5 minutes until garlic and onions are just glistening and translucent, but not brown. Add the remaining seasonings; stir thoroughly and remove fromthe heat.
- Stirring thoroughly, add these ingredients to the steaming rice and balance the seasonings and liquids. Steam for a final 5 minutes, covered. Fluff and serve.
This special medley of flavors and tastes is so nutritionally well-balanced, it can be a complete main course or a colorful side course.
Recipe Yield: Prep Time: 15 Minutes - Cost: $``Servings: 10 - Difficulty Level: 2
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 9 grams
Sodium: 374 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams
1-1/2 Bread; 1 Vegetable; 1-1/2 Fat
Source: Enduring Harvests: A Treasury of Native American Foods For Every Season
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.