- One 1-1/4 pound ruby red grapefruit, or 1 cup grapefruit segments
- 2 medium-sized ripe avocados (about 1-1/4 pounds total)
- 1 bunch watercress (about 6 ounces), washed and thick stems removed
- 1 tablespoon almond, walnut, or olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- Cut the grapefruit in half; seed them and carefully remove the segments. Reserve the shells.
- Cut each avocado in half; peel and pit.
- Divide the trimmed watercress among 4 chilled salad plates. Put an avocado half on top of each watercress nest. Divide the grapefruit segments to fill the cavities and top the avocado halves.
- To make the dressing, squeeze 1 tablespoon of juice from the grapefruit shells into a small bowl. Add the oil, vinegar, seasoned salt, and hot pepper sauce. Mix well with a fork.
- Drizzle 2 teaspoons of the dressing over each salad.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings Serving size: 1 salad with 2 tsps dressing
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 15 grams
Sodium: 65 milligrams
Protein: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 12 grams
1 Fruit, 3 Fat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes