- 1-1/2 Tbsp canola oil, divided (20 mL)
- 1 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion (125 mL)
- 1/2 pkg (8 oz/225 g) sliced mushrooms
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pkg (13.8 oz/ 391 g) focaccia-style, refrigerated pizza dough
- 1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes (1 mL)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves (125 mL)
- 2 small plum tomatoes, cut into 12 rounds total
- 1/2 cup (2 oz/55 g) shredded part-skim mozzarella (125 mL)
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (30 mL)
- 16 pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onions; cook 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 2 minutes, using two utensils to stir easily. Add garlic, cook 15 seconds and set aside.
- On baking sheet, drizzle remaining 1/2 Tbsp (7 mL) canola oil. Use fingertips to spread oil evenly. Unroll dough onto baking sheet and shape into an 11 x 8 inch rectangle. Top dough with pepper flakes and mushroom mixture, spooning as close to edges as possible. Top with basil and arrange tomatoes in 12 even sections.
- Bake 12 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella. Bake 6 more minutes or until deep golden on edges. Top with Parmesan and sprinkle evenly with olives. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- When serving, cut into 12 squares, and then cut each square in half diagonally to make 24 pieces total.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 12 servings.Serving size: 2 pieces.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4.5 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 320 milligrams
Cholesterol: 5 milligrams
Protein: 5 grams
Carbohydrates: 18 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵
Source: "The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast and Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil" from the American Diabetes Association and CanolaInfo