- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper (0.5 mL)
- 2 tsp cumin (10 mL)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (5 mL)
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock (2 L)
- 2/3 cup lentils (150 mL)
- 1 can (19 oz) tomatoes, chopped (540 mL)
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs cooked chicken, cubed (1 kg)
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas (250 mL)
- 1 small avocado, peeled and sliced
- In Dutch oven, heat canola oil. Add garlic, onion and celery. Saute until vegetables are tender. Season with black pepper, cumin and red pepper flakes.
- Add chicken stock, lentils, tomatoes and carrots. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Add chicken, zucchini and peas.
- Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with avocado slices.
All of your favorite Mexican flavors mix together in this soup. Â¡Muy delicioso!
Recipe Yield: Yield: 10 servings.Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 6 grams
Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Sodium: 280 milligrams
Cholesterol: 75 milligrams
Protein: 33 grams
Carbohydrates: 14 grams
Recipe and image appear courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.