- 4 medium whole Belgian endives (1 pound total)
- 1-1/2 cups Homemade Chicken Broth or canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the endives in half lengthwise.
- Combine the broth and honey in a non-stick skillet large enough to hold the endive in one layer. Bring the liquid to a boil. Add the endive, cut side down; reduce the heat. Cover and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes, basting often with the liquid in the skillet.
- Remove the endive. Simmer the broth to reduce to about 1/2 cup. Stir in the margarine and pepper. Serve the endive hot, topped with sauce.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 8 endive halves (4 servings)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Sodium: 73 milligrams
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 7 grams
Sugars: 4 grams
1 Vegetable, 1/2 Fat
Source: Light and Easy Diabetes Cuisine
Book Title: Light and Easy Diabetes Cuisine