- 2 cups broccoli florets, stem removed
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt, if desired
- Place the broccoli, garlic, basil and nuts in a food processor or blender. Add 4 or 5 grinds of pepper. Puree until the broccoli is finely ground but still grainy.
- With the motor running, drizzle in just enough of the oil to make the mixture spreadable and soft enough to use as a dip. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and blend 15 seconds longer. Transfer the pesto to a bowl.
- Mix in the cheese and season to taste with salt, if desired. Cover tightly and refrigerate 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld. This pesto keeps up to 2 days if stored tightly covered in the refrigerator.
- To use with crostini, spread 1 to 2 tablespoons pesto on each slice of grilled or toasted bread (preferably whole-wheat Italian).
Makes enough for 8-12 crostini or as a dip with sliced raw vegetables such as carrots and red, orange, or yellow bell peppers.
Recipe Yield: Makes 1 cup of pesto.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4 grams
Sodium: 22 milligrams
Protein: 1 grams
Carbohydrates: 0 grams
1 Vegetable, 1/4 Medium-fat Meat