- 4 beef eye round steaks, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 4 ounces each)
- 1-1/2 cups plain yogurt, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- Combine 1/2 cup yogurt, ginger and garlic in small bowl. Place beef steaks and yogurt mixture in food-safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile line a strainer with paper towels; set over small bowl. Place remaining 1 cup yogurt in strainer. Cover; let drain in refrigerator 30 minutes or as long as overnight to thicken.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 10 to 12 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas gril, times remain the same) for medium rare (145F) doneness, turning occasionally. (Do not overcook.)
- Meanwhile combine thickened yogurt and wasabi paste. Set aside.
- Carve steaks into thin slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with wasabi- yogurt mixture.
Recipe Yield: Makes 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5 grams
Saturated Fat: 2 grams
Sodium: 9 milligrams
Cholesterol: 57 milligrams
Protein: 29 grams
Carbohydrates: 6 grams