- 2 medium ripe tomatoes (12 to 14 ounces total)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh soft bread crumbs, or 1 slice bread, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese (preferably imported)
- Cut tomatoes in half crosswise. Gently squeeze out and discard the seeds. Place the tomatoes cut side up on a broiler pan prepared with non-stick pan spray.
- Combine the garlic, oil, basil, and pepper in a small bowl. Brush evenly over the cut surfaces of the tomatoes. Broil 6 inches from the heat source until hot, about 5 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are broiling, combine the crumbs and cheese in a small bowl; sprinkle evenly over the tops of the hot tomatoes. Return to the broiler until the crumbs are browned, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 Servings (1/2 tomato)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 62 milligrams
Cholesterol: 1 milligrams
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 7 grams
Sugars: 3 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1 Vegetable, 1/2 Fat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.