- 2 medium ripe tomatoes (12 to 14 ounces total)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh soft bread crumbs, or 1 slice bread, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese (preferably imported)
- Cut tomatoes in half crosswise. Gently squeeze out and discard the seeds. Place the tomatoes cut side up on a broiler pan prepared with non-stick pan spray.
- Combine the garlic, oil, basil, and pepper in a small bowl. Brush evenly over the cut surfaces of the tomatoes. Broil 6 inches from the heat source until hot, about 5 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are broiling, combine the crumbs and cheese in a small bowl; sprinkle evenly over the tops of the hot tomatoes. Return to the broiler until the crumbs are browned, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 Servings (1/2 tomato)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 62 milligrams
Cholesterol: 1 milligrams
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 7 grams
Sugars: 3 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1 Vegetable, 1/2 Fat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes