- 1 cup fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 oz.) tomatillos, drained
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup packed baby spinach leaves
- 12 cups packed romaine or other dark green lettuce leaves, chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 mild white onion, like Bermuda or Vidalia, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. canned diced green chilies
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 2 slices bread (crusts removed), cubed*
- Salt to taste, if desired
- Hot sauce to taste, if desired
- 1/4 cup finely minced chives, for garnish
- Place first 10 ingredients in blender and puree until smooth. Add oil, lime juice, cumin, sugar and bread. Blend until smooth. Let mixture stand 2 minutes to allow bread to absorb liquid. Puree again until smooth. Season to taste with salt, hot sauce and more chilies and lime juice, if desired.
- Transfer to bowl or pitcher and chill until very cold.
- Before serving, check seasoning and add more, as desired. Garnish with chives, if desired, and serve.
* Either white or soft whole-wheat bread can be used.
Who said gazpacho must be made with tomatoes? The following green gazpacho makes use of leafy greens and other vegetables in a tangy combination.
Recipe Yield: Makes 5-2/3 cups or 6 servings.
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4 grams
Sodium: 324 milligrams
Protein: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 12 grams
1/2 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1 Fat
Recipe and image appear courtesy of American Institute for Cancer Research.