- 1 cup fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 oz.) tomatillos, drained
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup packed baby spinach leaves
- 12 cups packed romaine or other dark green lettuce leaves, chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 mild white onion, like Bermuda or Vidalia, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. canned diced green chilies
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 2 slices bread (crusts removed), cubed*
- Salt to taste, if desired
- Hot sauce to taste, if desired
- 1/4 cup finely minced chives, for garnish
- Place first 10 ingredients in blender and puree until smooth. Add oil, lime juice, cumin, sugar and bread. Blend until smooth. Let mixture stand 2 minutes to allow bread to absorb liquid. Puree again until smooth. Season to taste with salt, hot sauce and more chilies and lime juice, if desired.
- Transfer to bowl or pitcher and chill until very cold.
- Before serving, check seasoning and add more, as desired. Garnish with chives, if desired, and serve.
* Either white or soft whole-wheat bread can be used.
Who said gazpacho must be made with tomatoes? The following green gazpacho makes use of leafy greens and other vegetables in a tangy combination.
Recipe Yield: Makes 5-2/3 cups or 6 servings.
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4 grams
Sodium: 324 milligrams
Protein: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 12 grams
1/2 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1 Fat
Recipe and image appear courtesy of American Institute for Cancer Research.
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.