- 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 orange roughy fillets (1 pound total), thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare an ovenproof skillet with nonstick pan spray.
- In the skillet over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in the margarine until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the fish in the skillet; cover with the sauce and pour the wine over the fish. Cover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the fish flakes with a fork.
- Remove the fish to a heated platter. Simmer the sauce in the skillet until reduced to 2/3 cup. Stir in the tomato paste, reheat, and pour over the fish.
Serving Size: 3-1/2 ounces fish plus 3 tablespoons sauce. Contains 1g Dietary Fiber and 3g Sugars.
Recipe Yield: Serves: 4
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Sodium: 384 milligrams
Cholesterol: 23 milligrams
Protein: 18 grams
Carbohydrates: 7 grams
1 Vegetable, 3 Very Lean Meat
Source: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook For People with Diabetes